Over the last few years, I have heard this “words” theology thing! It is pretty simple – be careful what you say or you will become it. Therefore, don’t say, “I’m sick – or you will definitely get sick, or be sicker!” Another iteration of this is to say in the face of sickness, “I am well, and therefore you will be well!” The applications of this are endless – and not grounded that much in the Word of God. However, the Bible does speak about us, our character, and what comes out of our mouths.
I submit to you that saying, “We are our words” gets it out of order. We are “who we are” or “are not” based on how we are relating to Christ. Whatever our character actually is will be revealed by our speech. The Bible makes this kind of statement in James 3:8 – 10 8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
It is only by submitting our lives to Christ that the tongue can be tamed by the Holy Spirit. So what is coming out of your mouth?
1. Blessing or Cursing - or worse, both?
2. Words of edification – or words of destruction? (Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.)
3. Words of forgiveness – or words of strife?
4. Words of envy and jealousy – or words of praise and admiration?
5. Words of gossip – or words of blessing?
6. Words of faith – or words of faithlessness?
7. Words of encouragement – or words of dismay?
The list can go on and on! A Christ follower will “check their tongue” before they open their mouth! Follow Christ and be a blessing with your speech!